Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Midnight Ramblings of a Crazy Mind.

Midnight musings are the best. It’s just plain amazing what the lack of light and sound around you can do to the sheer pace and clarity of your otherwise frequently interrupted thinking process. Definitely makes me wonder if the deaf and the blind and the differently abled have a much clearer view of their world than we do of ours.


 Now, one of the many things I hate about New Years is that it makes me look back and reflect. This is also, incidentally, one of the many things I love about New Years. Every New Years, I have a tendency to surprise myself. I think about myself and how I was on the 1st of January. And then, I think about myself and how I am on the 31st of December. It’s amazing what 365 days of living can do to you!! You realise everything is different. Your life, the place you live, your family, your friends, relationships, your priorities, the way you talk, the way you dress, even the way you perceive the world around you. It’s like you get a whole new identity every year. Is that a good thing? To find yourself different each year? To realise that your definition of ‘me’ doesn’t seem so accurate anymore? But then again, isn’t change the only constant? It certainly can’t be wrong to learn from your experiences. In the course of a year, there could have been a hundred people you met and who made an impact, however insignificant, on your life and the way you see it. Some of them, you held onto. Some of them, you had to let go. Each new day is a learning experience. Even the worst of days teach you the best of lessons. The same goes with all kinds of relationships. Where is the room for bitter feelings then? It is only natural that you learn from all the things you did and saw, right or wrong, and use it to change yourself in the way you see best. You, probably, won’t even notice it happening until one fine New Years, you decide to turn and look back. 


Now, can something that alters you in some way without your knowing, be called change? Is there room for guilt and regret? Or for that matter, celebration? And so, I prefer calling it ‘evolution’. You can’t help it. It’s natural and you just have to accept the fact that it has happened. Now, look back and try to remember. Those small, seemingly insignificant moments in that one year that seemed to add meaning to your life then, the relationships you built, the ones that grew stronger, the ones that broke, the people you met, the choices you made and all the hard thinking that went into them. Everything. Now the moment you start regretting who you have become, you are, in essence, also regretting all of the above. Now, that’s a sad waste of a year. 


So yes. I’ve changed. And I’m not going to regret it. Maybe I’ve changed for the worse. But there’s always room for correction and I'll try because nothing in the world is ever that bad. But life’s too short for regrets. And that’s what came out of my latest midnight musing.  :)

1 comment: